You can never have enough lentil recipes, so here is one more to add to your collection.
While this recipe is vegetarian, you may add cooked meat to it if you like. Ground beef or ground turkey, from 1/2-pound to a full pound, will be plenty. Leftover chicken can be added to it if you prefer. Or just make it the way it’s written. As vegetarian chili goes, it’s top notch.
My Best Lentil Chili
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 6 cups water (1-1/2 quarts)
- 10 ounce can tomatoes and green chiles OR 15 ounce can plain tomatoes
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons broth powder or 2 bouillon cubes, flavoring of your choice
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar or other sweetener as desired
Combine everything and boil for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. This recipe has become my family’s favorite version of lentil chili. They won’t let me make any other version. It goes together really fast and then it simmers until it’s done. We always serve it with some type of cornbread. No one ever complains when they hear that this is what’s for dinner.