Split Pea & Potato Soup
- 1 cup dry split peas
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine
- 2 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1/2 cup peeled and chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or 2-teaspoons chicken broth powder or bouillon cubes
- Black pepper to taste
- For Garnish: Lemon wedges OR dollops of tofu sour cream or Togurt OR puddles of dairy-free creamer
This is a simple, hearty dish that’s easy and inexpensive. Begin by combining the split peas, water and margarine in a large pot. Bring the mixture to a boil; cover; reduce the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes. The peas should be soft and beginning to fall apart. Add the potatoes, onion, salt and pepper to the peas. Continue simmering for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the peas have disintegrated. Keep an eye on the pot so it doesn’t boil dry. Add more water as necessary during cooking. Serve in soup bowls and if desired add one of the suggested garnishes above. Makes 4 moderate servings, or enough for lunch when served with muffins and carrot sticks.
Assuming 4 servings.
Per Serving: 286 Calories; 6g Fat (19.5% calories from fat); 14g Protein; 45g Carbohydrate; 14g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 223mg Sodium.
Calories By Percentage: 20% Fat; 61% Carbohydrate; 19% Protein.
Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat.