Use gluten-free rolled oats to be certain your brownies are 100% gluten free. My family uses regular rolled oats because we do not have celiac disease, and any possible trace amounts of gluten in regular rolled oats don’t seem to bother my family. If we had more sensitivity or celiac then we would only use certified gluten-free rolled oats which are so common you can even find them at Walmart.
Oat Flour Fudge Brownies
- 1 cup dairy-free margarine (2 sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract OR 1-teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups rolled oats ground into 1-cup oat flour (grind in a coffee mill or blender)
- Optional: 1-cup chopped nuts or 1-cup dairy-free chocolate chips or dry cranberries or all or none
- Coat a 9 by 13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray or oil it lightly. Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Melt the margarine in a large saucepan over low heat. When the margarine is completely melted remove the pan from the stove.
- Beat in the sugar. When the pan has cooled enough to touch comfortably stir in the eggs and vanilla. Beat until glossy, golden and smooth.
- Add the cocoa, salt, baking powder and oat flour. If you’re adding nuts or chocolate chips mix them in too. Stir until the batter is mostly smooth.
- Turn the brownie batter into your prepared pan. Bake at 350° for exactly 30 minutes. Remove from the oven. Cool slightly. Cut into 24 squares.
- You may frost these brownies if desired, but they are plenty rich enough without frosting.
- To make Hot Fudge Brownie Sundaes serve the brownies with a scoop of Dairy-Free Ice Cream and drizzle with chocolate syrup. Top with a maraschino cherry if you want to be really fancy. Maraschino cherries are sometimes cheap at dollar stores. This is a favorite birthday treat at our house. Much more popular than cake.
- When you tire of regular old brownies, which has been known to happen on occasion, use orange extract instead of vanilla. This gives a bright citrus flavor to the brownies that really wakes up a jaded palate.
- If you didn’t know this recipe was dairy and gluten-free you would never guess it. Easily one of the best recipes in my collection.